Philip Sullivan and Ellen Connor Family

Philip Sullivan and Ellen Connor Family
Philip Sullivan and Ellen Connor Family: From left to right: James Sullivan, James Gahagan, Ann Sullivan Gahagan, Philip M. Sullivan, Honora "Nonie" Mahoney, Thomas Hoy, Mary Sullivan Hoy, Pete Sullivan, Ellen Madigan Sullivan, Alex Sullivan, Maggie Sweeny Sullivan, Frank Sullivan; Seated: Philip J. Sullivan and Ellen Connor Sullivan, c1908-1909

About Philip Sullivan and Ellen Connor

About Philip J. Sullivan and Ellen Connor

Philip J. Sullivan, son of Patrick Sullivan and Rose (last name most likely Corcoran) was born on January 6, 1840 in Dennbane, County Cavan. He was one of ten children. He and his wife Ellen Connor, daughter of James Connor (c1818-1897) and Anastasia Colfer (Colfour) (c1821-1884) was born 1843 in Taghmon, County Wexford, also had ten children. Philip immigrated c1856 and Ellen c1855, both with their parents and siblings. Philip and Ellen married in Chicago in 1865. They owned a grocery store on the southwest side of Chicago from 1871-c1900s. By 1910, they were living at 833 Madison in Evanston, Illinois, where they spent the rest of their lives. They had ten children: Mary, Anastasia (Ann), James (Jay), Infant, Frances (Frank), Peter, Alexander (See also Sullivan/Madigan Genealogy), Michael, Charles, and Philip. Philip Sr. died of a cerebral hemorrhage on May 26, 1915 and Ellen died of a stroke on December 3, 1919.

Click on image to enlarge

TO ENLARGE AN IMAGE, DOUBLE CLICK ON IT AND IT WILL OPEN LARGER IN A SEPARATE WINDOW.
YOU MAY NEED TO CLICK ON IT AGAIN TO FULLY INCREASE ITS SIZE.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Holy Famly Church - Parish Pew Rental - 1896 and Parishioners

Pews and Pewholders

"After a lapse of thirty-three years it is interesting again to study briefly the pew situation, and call to mind, not only the location and schedule of rentals, which we are enabled to do through a diagram prepared under the direction of the pastor, but also again to take note of the principal parishioners represented in the pewholders. This diagram, made accessible through publication in the church Calendar and Sodality Bulletin, illustrates graphically the capacity of the church, the location of the aisles and pillars, and various vacant spaces, Rev. M. P. Dowling, S. J., had the diagram prepared and directed its publication in March, 1896.... Father Dowling estimated that there was only one pew rented to every two hundred of the members of the parish.... At the time this diagram was made, the pew rents ranged from $52.00 a year, for the best pews in the middle aisle, down to $8.00 for the least desirable.
"On the diagram, the schedule of prices marked sets forth the charge made for one sitting for three months.
"At this time the pewholders and the pews occupied by them were as follows:
PEW HOLDERS IN THE HOLY FAMILY CHURCH, 1896."
On page 193, it notes that Philip Sullivan occupied pew #243 in section 7. On the chart it says "243, $2.50, Taken."  Pages 189-193.

Elsewhere in the book on the Holy Family Church are several entries that mention the Sullivan Family:

"Rev. Charles P. Sullivan, S. J., was born October 22, 1883, and entered the Society of Jesus, February 3, 1905.  At present Father Sullivan is doing very proficient work as a professor in Rockhurst College, Kansas City, Mo."  Page 407.

"Peter A. Sullivan of Sholto Street served as usher for a few years from 1904 to 1906.  His people moved out to Evanston, which obliged him to follow.  There were five brothers of this family at one time altar boys, namely: Perter, the usher; Alexander, Michael, Charles, now Rev. Charles Sullivan, S. J., and Phillip."  Pages 660-661.

"Mr. and Mrs. Philip Sullivan, 90 Sholto street, kept a store from 1871 to 1900. Mr. Sullivan's store was very popular in the neighborhood owing to the kindness and charity of the family.  Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan were very much attached to the Church and contributed, as far as their means would permit, to all and every necessity of the church and parish.  There was a large family, five of the boys were at one time serving as Acolytes, one of them Our Lord selected to follow Him as a priest in the Society of Jesus, the Rev. Charles Sullivan, S. J.  This store was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Flanagan, who ran it for several years."  Page 736-737.

In one section of the book the author names parishioners, by street which provides a look at the Sullivan neighbors at the turn of the last century:

"On Sholto street lived William Murphy at the corner of Eleventh street, opposite the Planing Mill.  Theresa Murphy was identified with W. C. O. F.  Her brother, James E., was an exceptional artist as an expert wood engraver.  William was a letter carrier, and Elizabeth Goodbody is a teacher in the Chicago Public Schools.  The following also lived on Sholto: Daniel Short, John Ward, Thomas Kenneally, John Kelly, Frank Gibson, Owen Rooney, Patrick Martin,... Phil Sullivan, Patrick Burke, John Callahan, Thomas Kennedy." Page 948.

Mulkerins, Bro. Thomas M., Holy Family Parish: Priest and People 1857-1923, Chicago, 1923.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment